KubeClarity is a tool for detection and management of Software Bill Of Materials (SBOM) and vulnerabilities of container images and filesystems. It scans both runtime K8s clusters and CI/CD pipelines for enhanced software supply chain security.
KubeClarity is the tool responsible for Kubernetes Security in the OpenClarity platform.
SBOM & Vulnerability Detection Challenges
- Effective vulnerability scanning requires an accurate Software Bill Of Materials (SBOM) detection:
- Various programming languages and package managers
- Various OS distributions
- Package dependency information is usually stripped upon build
- Which one is the best scanner/SBOM analyzer?
- What should we scan: Git repos, builds, container images or runtime?
- Each scanner/analyzer has its own format - how to compare the results?
- How to manage the discovered SBOM and vulnerabilities?
- How are my applications affected by a newly discovered vulnerability?
- Separate vulnerability scanning into 2 phases:
- Content analysis to generate SBOM
- Scan the SBOM for vulnerabilities
- Create a pluggable infrastructure to:
- Run several content analyzers in parallel
- Run several vulnerability scanners in parallel
- Scan and merge results between different CI stages using KubeClarity CLI
- Runtime K8s scan to detect vulnerabilities discovered post-deployment
- Group scanned resources (images/directories) under defined applications to navigate the object tree dependencies (applications, resources, packages, vulnerabilities)
- Supports Docker Image Manifest V2, Schema 2 (https://docs.docker.com/registry/spec/manifest-v2-2/). It will fail to scan earlier versions.
- Integration with additional content analyzers (SBOM generators)
- Integration with additional vulnerability scanners
- CIS Docker benchmark in UI
- Image signing using Cosign
- CI/CD metadata signing and attestation using Cosign and in-toto (supply chain security)
- System settings and user management